Moon Soo Choi*, Heenkenda Mudiyanselage, Sujeeya Rasika and Bandara Kotakadeniya
Department of Surgery, Bundaberg Base Hospital, AustraliaFulltext PDF
Introduction: Metal brushes are tools commonly used to clean barbeque grills however accidental ingestion of loose bristles is increasingly being reported in the medical literature. They have been found in various areas including the base of tongue, esophagus and pancreas and have required bedside procedures, endoscopy or open surgery to remove them. Some have been conservatively managed. Clinical Presentation: We report a case of a 61-year-old lady who presented to the emergency department after eating grilled salmon with CT evidence of esophageal perforation with the distal end of the wire immediately posterior to the right common carotid artery. This was removed endoscopically, and the wire bristle passed through the small bowel and colon safely. Conclusion: This case demonstrates again the dangers of wire brushes in food preparation and the importance of careful inspection of the wire brush prior to usage and the food before consumption.